[K12OSN] solved--K12LTSP server won't give non-terminals web access

David D. Nelson nelsda at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 6 05:46:50 UTC 2006

--- Eric Harrison <eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us>
wrote:

> David D. Nelson wrote:
> > Sorry about the early send.
> >
> > Any way, I think I found out the problem of
> > workstations on my internal network not being able
> > get access to the internet with a web browser.
> When I
> > added things like HTTP to the trusted services I
> could
> > get access. But if I wanted the ports to be
> invisible
> > to the outside world things wouldn't work. I found
> > while looking at the Linux Firewall module in
> Webmin
> > that only lo was set to accept any traffic but
> that
> > eth0 was not. I added a rule to accept any traffic
> on
> > eth0 and now my internal workstations get through
> the
> > firewall just fine. Was the K12LTSP rule to accept
> > anything on eth0 supposed to do the same thing?
> >

> Yes, the K12LTSP rule should have done the same
> thing. Perhaps webmin
> does this in an incompatible way - I'll test it when
> I get the chance.
>
> -Eric

I did a clean install with beta 7 and added http and
https as trusted services during install. When I tried
to use a page needing port 2082 the page would time
out. I either had to manually add port 2082 in the
Security level and firewall application or go into
webmin and add the eth0 rule. I couldn't remember
where/how to add it directly to the config file.

BTW, should I plan on a reinstall when K12LTSP 6 final
is out or is yum update enough to do it?

David D. Nelson
nelsda at yahoo.com