[K12OSN] Hello

Dan Young dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us
Wed Dec 6 16:08:03 UTC 2006

Henry Schaechterle wrote:
>    I've just joined this email list and thought I should do a quick
> intro.

Welcome!

> My goal here is to build a digital media server using Linux - digital
> media server is probably not the correct term, but the primary use of
> this server will be for students learning digital photography - digital
> video - and to support our school year book production and publishing.
> So it will be storing and serving a lot of digital media.

Here's a link to some digital photography lessons incorporating the GIMP
that Paul Nelson developed:
http://oregonphotoblog.org/gimp/

The picture is a little less rosy for digital video, but I don't have
much experience in that arena. Pitivi is showing some promise as a
non-linear video editor.

If you're just serving up files to Windows/Mac clients, you should be in
good shape using Samba and Netatalk.

> Well so much for my "short" intro - I thank you for all your help in advance

Again, welcome. Best of luck with your testing. Be sure to ask questions
here as they come up.

--
Dan Young <dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us>
Multnomah ESD - Technology Services