[K12OSN] DHCP and PXE with two different Class of IP address

Bert Rolston bert.rolston at clear.net.nz
Thu Dec 7 04:58:50 UTC 2006

Hey folks,

I know this little chestnut has been chewed over many times on this
list. I don't remember my situation coming up. So first I'll describe
the environment.

=======================
The current environment
=======================

An MS Network with AD, terminal server and MS DHCP server with CLASS B
IP address scheme.

They want to revitalise their old Win 9x / NT machines and are
investigating using K12LTSP or locally installed Linux. They have a lot
of old classic to PII Pentiums which are gathering dust.

One option is to boot the LTSP terminals in kiosk mode to access their
Windows Terminal server using the RDP client included.

The other option is to install a lightweight Linux distro (Puppy or DSL)
on all the machines and use the RDP client that way.

They don't want to change their existing infrastructure if at all
possible. Even making changes to their DHCP server is considered risky
by the network admin. ANY adverse impact on their existing system is
unacceptable.

The network admin uses Ubuntu at home, but has been unable to get any
Linux computer to authenticate to the AD at work.
For that reason he only sees limited potential for Linux / OSS in their
current environment.

Users will authenticate to their AD through Windows terminal sessions.

Later on they may enable access to the Linux desktop and apps.

=======================
My Question
=======================

Given that the current DHCP server issues Class B addresses.

Can the K12LTSP DHCP server, which issues Class C addresses
	- co-exist on the same physical media
	- handle PXE requests from the old hardware,
	- and not interfere with their current setup?

If so what changes (if any) need to be made
	- on the MS DHCP server,
	- their current setup
	- the K12LTSP server

Thanks,