[K12OSN] DHCP and PXE with two different Class of IP address

David Whitmer thewhitmers at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 14:00:32 UTC 2006

On 12/7/06, Bert Rolston <bert.rolston at clear.net.nz> wrote:
> Thanks John,
>
> <snip>
>
> But back to the question.
>
> So what you were saying earlier is that on the K12LTSP server I set up
>        - 1 NIC with a Class B address that matches their scheme,
>          connected to their physical media
>        - 1 NIC with the standard K12LTSP Class C scheme connected to
>          the same physical media, through the same switch
>
> This should satisfy my customer's criteria.
>
> What will the MS DHCP server do when a PXE request comes from the old
> hardware?
>
> I may be answering my own question, as I understand things MS DHCP will
> ignore the request. Is that the case?
>
> As for the LTSP DHCP server, I take it I can tell it to IGNORE any DHCP
> requests from a host with an MS operating system.
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Cheers,
> Bert

Bert,

As long as the PXE-booting computers are connected to the same
physical network connected to the K12LTSP server's "internal" NIC, the
PXE request will stop at that server and not go out to your class B
network.

Also, the NIC connected to the class B network will not be running
DHCP service... the K12LTSP server by default only runs that for the
internal network NIC.

In your e-mail, it looks like you're planning to connect both of the
NICs in the K12LTSP server into the same network switch.  That will
cause you problems.  The default K12LTSP setup is meant to have the
server act as a gateway/router between two physical networks, one for
your thin client (PXE booting) computers, and the other your main
network.

David Whitmer

Director of Media & Technology
Calvary Schools of Holland (Michigan)