[K12OSN] K12LTSP Installation Westmont High School

Bruce Anderson bruce.g.anderson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 23:07:45 UTC 2006

Sorry to be so slow, I have been teaching and not working on LTSP.

On 12/9/06, Sudev Barar <sbarar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/12/06, Bruce Anderson <bruce.g.anderson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think I did a pretty default installation of K12LTSP version 4.4.1from
> > CDs on a VALinux 1220 (dual 800 MHz PIIIs with 2048MB and two 18 GB
> scsci
> > drives).
>

> Bruce can you describe your network and confirm you are using 100mbps
> switches and not hubs?

Between my experimental LTSP server and my experimental client I have a
direct connect crossover cable no hub, now switch; the message on the client
boot screen indicates 100Mbps full-duplex and /var/log/messages on the
server says the same.

The network may be a problem - I am not really clear how different networks
interact.  In my classroom I have a server (not the LTSP one) that is
between the school LAN and my classroom LAN.  That classroom server has
10.6.44.1 mask 255.255.0.0 on eth0 connected to the school and 192.168.44.1mask
255.255.255.0 connected to a 10/100 switch for 36 computers in my
classroom.  All the classroom computers are 192.168.44.x  My LTSP server is
192.168.44.57 on eth1 by dhcp from the classroom server and is
192.168.0.254on eth0 which directly connects to the client.

> > I installed an Aopen AON-325 network card from DisklessWorkstations.comon a
> > VALinux 420 (700 MHz Celeron).
> >
> > It takes my new LTSP server a long time to boot -- there are various
> > messages that the BIOS is too old, MPBIOS bug, agpgart: unable to
> determine
> > aperture size, etc., -- it spends a long time at TFTP ..... and says
> PXE-E32
> > TFTP open timeout -- but it finally boots linux and all
>
> BIOS/MPBIOS messages are something you will have to sort out as far as
> LTSP is concerned the process starts only on discovery of DHCPD. The
> aperture size could be set to 8mb in BIOS if there is any such setting
> available.

I fixed the long boot process by changing the BIOS to default boot from SCSI
without first trying the other default BIOS settings.  The former TFTP
timeout does not seem relevant.

The time out message is what needs to be looked at from LTSP point of
> view as this is indicating slow network. or network conflicts slowing
> it down...like both NIC cards of LTSP two cars servers connected to
> same physical network. But green indicators are telling us this may
> not be so.

My LTSP server still repeatedly
Dec 12 14:36:14 server dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:40:f4:e8:e9:24 via eth0
Dec 12 14:36:15 server dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 192.168.0.253 to
00:40:f4:e8:e9:24 via eth0
while the client is "Searching for server (DHCP)"

It seems strange to me that in the Service Configuration GUI that the tftp
process is checked and says that xinetd is running -- however the start stop
restart etc. buttons in the tool bar are inactive.

--
> Regards,
> Sudev Barar

Bruce Anderson