[K12OSN] TuxPaint 0.9.16 vs. KidPix a teachers perspective

Gentgeen gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Wed Dec 13 19:55:12 UTC 2006

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 10:46:09 -0800 (PST)
Rob Owens <hick518 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I agree with David.  My 3-year-old son logs in with a
> username (his first name) and password (same as his
> username).  It's a great way to get kids to learn to
> type their name, and helps them learn/remember how to
> spell it.
>
> -Rob

Just adding my .02 ...

My children (I use LTSP at home) use their first name for the username,
and their middle name for their password.  They have all been doing it
since each was 3 (oldest now 8, youngest - and biggest name btw - is now
4)

It is true, I might not do that with a school, since not all kids have a
middle name, but the same idea could work.  Maybe kids name for
username,
and a parent's name for password.

A pre-school I visited had kids using their STUDENT ID # as the
username, and their own name as the password.  To help the kids remember
the stuff, the teachers wrote the info on Popsicle sticks.  Then the
process was very similar to the one about the laminated cards.

--
http://gentgeen.homelinux.org