[K12OSN] PostSession script, rm command and user directories

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Fri Dec 15 15:34:54 UTC 2006

Having occasionally run into problems with scripts that cd to a directory and then do
something, but which create havoc when the cd part fails and so the next step fires off
in the wrong directory, I like to specify the full path where the work should be done,
all in the same command.  So, rather than cd and then tar, I'd suggest this:

rm -rf /home/terminal1
tar -xv /usr/BACKUP/terminal1.tar -C /home

This way, if /home were missing (which would have all sorts of other implications, but
the principle is still valid), the tar won't happen and make a mess all over the root
directory or elsewhere.

As for root not being able to remove the directory that the user creates, something is
amiss.  What happens if root manually tries to remove the /home/terminal1 directory from
the command line?  What are the permissions on the files and directories that the user
creates?

Petre