[K12OSN] LTSP/Router

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 20:40:19 UTC 2006

First step is to determine if the problem is on the Linux server or on your
perimeter firewall. Can you ssh into the Linux server from the LAN? Are there
address restrictions for sshd in /etc/hosts.allow?

If the answer to the first question is yes, and the answer to the second is
no, then I suspect the problem is at your perimeter firewall/router. You
would need to be able to check the settings there to see if port 22 is being
forwarded to the *correct* IP address. This assumes that you have
successfully opened up IPTables firewall on the server (as you asserted). It
would be good to verify that too.

On Saturday 16 December 2006 16:28, Theo Turner wrote:
> I am still having difficulty with nx over the internet. In fact I don't
> seem to be able to use vnc or any other service across the internet. The
> box is a K12 LTSP 5 machine connected to the internet through a Router.
> The router has port forwards (NAT) set up for all the relevant services.
> Some to this machine and some to a windows mail server. I have run a
> port scan on the internet IP from home and this shows the ports
> forwarded to the windows box as open (which they are as vpn/email/rdp
> etc work) but the ones going the Linux box as closed. I presume this
> must be down to a firewall on Linux. So I tried resetting the firewall
> to allow everything using webmin. But it still doesn't work. So I am now
> confused! Please Help.
>

> Thanks
>
> Theo

                        - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                          MrJohnLucas at gmail.com               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802                http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W                        AST (UTC-4)                         |