[K12OSN] rdesktop big square

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Tue Dec 19 10:05:54 UTC 2006

On Tue, December 19, 2006 4:28 am, Shawn Powers wrote:
> Thanks Eric.  If it helps at all, it really looks like a video
> driver/chipset issue.  I say that, because there's also a really weird
video artifact about 1.5" down on the left hand side of the screen.
It's
> a dashed line that extends about an inch into the display.  I actually
thought it was a bad LCD the first time I saw it, but I've seen it on
CRTs
> as well.

I played around a bit, and got the square to go away if I use the vesa
driver for the client.  The vesa driver actually works better than I've
ever seen it work...  No acceleration of course, but I don't know if there
was acceleration with the non-vesa driver anyway.  (It's not really an
issue for me now, this is just office work, etc)

Something else I've found, that may or may not be related, is that the
client won't seem to honor any frequency settings in X_MODE_0.  It will
honor the resolution, but regardless of what I put in there, I'm stuck at
60hz.  I use an LCD in my office, so I never really noticed it before, but
this morning I'm at a CRT, and feel like I've been staring at a
fluorescent lightbulb for the past hour... :)

Anyway, the vesa driver does fix the big square cursor in rdesktop, to
it's at least a temporary fix.  I may get this secretary an LCD today...
;o)

-Shawn

--
Shawn Powers
Technology Director
spowers at inlandlakes.org
http://techcorner.inlandlakes.org

The views, opinions, visions, thoughts, comments, sarcastic whims,
forecasts, poetic outbursts, cynical wit, future plans, implementation
ideas, OS preference, curricular insight, ice cream preference, or
anything else I might infer are not the views of Inland Lakes Schools.
Pretty much everything I say, do, think, or imply with punctuation should
be considered my own delusions, and ignored completely.