[K12OSN] More oddities with K12LTSP 6.0 rc2

Peter Deakin k12ltsp at trinityschool.org.uk
Sat Dec 23 01:27:19 UTC 2006

I have done a standard install ltsp 6 rc2, setting host name to LTSP-2
using 192.168.0.254
setting DNS and default gateway. on first boot sendmail took about 2 min
to start and smclient about a 1 min.
everything seem OK workstations booted up and I was able to log on with
the one account I had created.

Investigating sendmail I noted that the /etc/hosts had some strange
entries at the beginning something like:
...8 loclhost.localdomain, this was repeated. There was no 127.0.0.1 and
LTSP-2 had an IP of 208.67.(can't remember the rest, think it ended in
40)-this was similar to the DNS serevers(208.67.222.222) that I entered
at install.

I edited hosts file as below

127.0.0.1    LTSP-2    localhost.localdomain    localhost
192.168.0.1    ws001.ltsp    ws001
192.168.0.2    ws002.ltsp    ws002
etc to
192.168.0.253    ws253.ltsp    ws253
192.168.0.254    server.ltsp    server

rebooted the server and sendmail loaded without any problems

but now when I try to log on with a user the home folder can't be found.

I ran ltspadmin and it reported that

/etc/hosts
/etc/hosts.allow
/etc/exports

were not configured

checking the files they all seemed ok, but I ran the configuration
anyway which double entered everything in those files, but ltspadmin was
happy. Rebooted the server some complaints about the double entries in
exports, and still no home folders.

I have edited out the double entries and now ltspadmin is again
reporting that those files are not configured. I have not tried it again
since as I  am now at home. I guess it may be just one of those odd
installation glitches, or may be that odd IP address has got in some
config file and editing it out of hosts has screwed things up?  As there
is no data on there yet I may just do a reinstall, but if anyone can
shed any light as to what may have gone wrong or has an easy fix?

Peter Deakin