[K12OSN] HP Pavillion a1600n

We're trying to install onto an HP Pavillion a1600n that has a SATA drive. The installation went okay, but booting is failing. Specifically, GRUB runs, the kernel loads, and I think the initrd file loads and during that stage it's hanging in the process of detecting or talking to the IDE bus (I'm offsite, and this is what the tech there is telling me). If I'm getting the correct information, it sounds like the system is talking to the SATA bus and drive, but hanging on some other piece; but SATA drives in HP/Compaqs have given me trouble before. Anyone run into this or have any suggestions?

Petre