[K12OSN] HP Pavillion a1600n

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Mon Dec 4 17:16:53 UTC 2006

We're trying to install onto an HP Pavillion a1600n that has a SATA drive.  The
installation went okay, but booting is failing.  Specifically, GRUB runs, the kernel
loads, and I think the initrd file loads and during that stage it's hanging in the
process of detecting or talking to the IDE bus (I'm offsite, and this is what the tech
there is telling me).  If I'm getting the correct information, it sounds like the system
is talking to the SATA bus and drive, but hanging on some other piece; but SATA drives
in HP/Compaqs have given me trouble before.  Anyone run into this or have any suggestions?

Petre