[K12OSN] How many clients on server with one PATA disk?

How many clients are people supporting with a server with a single PATA (IDE--the kind with the wide ribbon cable) drive? As alluded to yesterday, I'm having trouble getting an HP Pavillion with a SATA drive to boot, although install and rescue mode both work fine. One option we're considering is using a PATA disk. There *used* to be a problem with PATA/IDE disks if you had more than 10 clients, but that was some years ago, and in the mean time, IDE disks have gotten faster, bigger caches, and I suspect that the spec has improved also, such that the 10-client limit may not apply so much any more. So, I'm wondering how many clients people are able to satisfactorily support on a box with a single PATA IDE drive (don't worry about the RAM).

Petre