[K12OSN] Hello

I've just joined this email list and thought I should do a quick intro. After about 20yrs in hi-tek (16 at Intel R+D --- Desktop R+D) I decided it was time to bail out of my cube and do something else. I'm now starting my 3rd month at Sunset High School in the Beaverton School District located in Beaverton Oregon. I came in as an Instructional Assistant (primarily to provide tech support) - but after 2 months they moved me into the Tech Facilitator role as that person was moving into a Dept. chair role.

Any way I'm having a lot of fun doing basic support (we're 85% Macs - rest are PCs) - learning the ropes on how they network and other processes - and doing a lot of organization etc. While I was doing engineering level work at Intel - that is so different from handling support and network activities ---- as I'm sure you all know.

As to my Linux experience - I've been installing and playing around with SUSE - Mandriva - Ubuntu - and Fedora Core 6 over the past 6 months at home. Just loading and testing the desktop environments --- I have a bit of a grasp of the basics -- but I am not a hard-core terminal guy or system hack.

My goal here is to build a digital media server using Linux - digital media server is probably not the correct term, but the primary use of this server will be for students learning digital photography - digital video - and to support our school year book production and publishing. So it will be storing and serving a lot of digital media.

I've already down loaded and imaged onto CDROMs K12 LTSP 5.0. And step one is to load that onto a test box here and play with the server side of things - maybe build a small test network with a PC and a Mac on it.

The larger plan is to build the actual server in January and slowly take it on-line slowly adding classes and students. I'll certainly be looking for any input on how to build the server.

Well so much for my "short" intro - I thank you for all your help in advance

Henry Schaechterle
Tech Facilitator
Sunset High School
503 259-5050