Re: [K12OSN] Autologin not working

If you want to use KDM for the display manager (under which you can run either KDE or Gnome; they're separate pieces, and KDM does not require that you run KDE) make the changes to /etc/sysconfig/desktop that you listed below, use Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a command prompt console, and run either 'gdm-restart' or 'telinit3; telinit 5' to stop the existing GDM display manager and start KDM. Note that ALL graphical sessions will reset (i.e., kick people out), even at the server console, when you do this.

GDM is the default display manager, and it can be made to autologin. But the file to edit is now /etc/gdm/custom.conf, not gdm.conf. AND, if you're using FC5, which it sounds like you are, you have to install a patched version of GDM for it to work. There's a complete how-to on the wiki (which I just wrote a couple weeks ago) that includes a link to the patched GDM in an RPM file. See http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/index.php/A%20more%20complete%20How-To%20for%20setting%20up%20autologin%20of%20clients%20using%20Gnome%20%26%20GDM

Petre

Ray Garza wrote:
Hello all,

I'm running K12LTSP 5.0 on my test box and I'm trying to got Autologin to work. I've looked at serveral postings on this but I cannot seem to get it to work.

http://ltsp.org/contrib/autologin_kdm.html
http://www.redhat.com/archives/k12osn/2003-June/msg00401.html

Two things that bother me.

1 I edit the /etc/sysconfig/desktop file as in the second link says to but the file is empty. Was it suppose to be empty? I went ahead and entered:
DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"
DESKTOP="KDE"

2. Changes to the /etc/X11/xdm/kdmrc seem to have no effect. Is the system using the file? So, this leads me to determine which mode the server is using GDM, KDM, XDM and How do I switch from ??? to KDM? Now, I also tried to use GDM to autologin as describe in other posting but the file that they refer to does not exist, gdm.conf.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ray