[K12OSN] Autologin not working

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Thu Dec 7 20:42:24 UTC 2006

If you want to use KDM for the display manager (under which you can run either KDE or
Gnome; they're separate pieces, and KDM does not require that you run KDE) make the
changes to /etc/sysconfig/desktop that you listed below, use Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a
command prompt console, and run either 'gdm-restart' or 'telinit3; telinit 5' to stop
the existing GDM display manager and start KDM.  Note that ALL graphical sessions will
reset (i.e., kick people out), even at the server console, when you do this.

GDM is the default display manager, and it can be made to autologin.  But the file to
edit is now /etc/gdm/custom.conf, not gdm.conf.  AND, if you're using FC5, which it
sounds like you are, you have to install a patched version of GDM for it to work.
There's a complete how-to on the wiki (which I just wrote a couple weeks ago) that
includes a link to the patched GDM in an RPM file.  See
http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/index.php/A%20more%20complete%20How-To%20for%20setting%20up%20autologin%20of%20clients%20using%20Gnome%20%26%20GDM

Petre