[K12OSN] netBoot Macintosh OS X

I am new to this list and hope that this hasn't already been covered.
While setting up a testing LTSP system I have set up both Macs and PCs. I was hoping to find the minimal software I could install on an older Mac to allow me to connect to the LTSP server. I ran across a couple of references to netBooting and tried doing that on a G3 iBook connected to the LTSP network. It worked without installing X11 or starting up Mac OS X. I couldn't get this to work from a G4 iBook. My LTSP setup was originally set up last Spring so I think it is version 4. Would version 5 allow the netBooting of the G4 iBook?
Is there a UNIX that can be installed on old Macs that would allow connection to LTSP without the overhead of Mac OS X?
If Mac OS X and X11 are installed is there a way to open X11 and pass the query command to it automatically using AppleScript, Automator or shell command?