[K12OSN] Need guidance on next steps ...

Henry Schaechterle Henry_Schaechterle at beavton.k12.or.us
Tue Dec 12 20:08:29 UTC 2006

I've just got K12 LTSP 5.0 loaded on a PC at our school -- install went
smooth - I did a custom install adding server packages etc. I'm on the
schools network (obviously I'm in DHCP mode) and have connectivity to the
net.

I have 2 immediate next steps:

1 - Run updates to get everything updated ---- running the Package Updater
give an error message - Unable to retrieve update info
unable to retrieve software info  ----  Network Issue ?

As mentioned I have network connectivity via the browser ---- not sure if
there may be firewall issues upsteam ?

Suggestions ?

2. Start to configure the system into a basic file server:
	-Goal #1 is to get another PC running XP to login and have access to a
folder / file share
	-Goal #2 do the same thing with a Mac running OSX

A lot of the files on      http://k12linux.org/network.html         seem
to lead to the dreaded 404 page. Any suggestions on were to start or where
to find documentation germane to this distribution -- Help

Lastly -----  Can any of you recommend some Linux books or generic
reference books on networking (from newbs to intermediate levels)  --- I
used to do this stuff 16yrs ago but man have I forgot a bunch of stuff

THANKS !!!

Henry Schaechterle
Tech Facilitator
Sunset High School