[K12OSN] FireFox

Dan Young dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us
Wed Dec 13 05:24:14 UTC 2006

Mel Wade wrote:
>    1. I want to upgrade to FF 2.0.  What is the easiest way to do this.

It's not easy, see answer 3. You could get a tarball from mozilla.org,
but you may loose some of the integration w/ GNOME/KDE, and it's files
won't be managed by RPM anymore. :-(

>    2. I want to be able to lock down firefox.  It seems I have read that
>       there if a configuration page where I can set home page and other
>       settings for all users.  I can't seem to locate this file.

The Mozilla Client Customization Kit is probably the easiest way to do
this, though you probably could hack up /usr/lib/firefox-*/defaults in a
pinch.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/cck/firefox/

about:config is local to the user running Firefox.

>    3. Why isn't FF 2.0 in K12LTSP 6.0?

Firefox 2.0 isn't in K12LTSP 6.0 because Firefox 2.0 isn't in Fedora
Core 6, on which the latest version K12LTSP is based. I don't believe
that FF2.0 had been released prior to the development freeze for FC6
(several months ago). The Fedora FF maintainer basically said it would
be a lot of work for what he saw as negligible benefit. It's been pushed
off to FC7. FF 2.0 just wasn't ready in time.

--
Dan Young <dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us>
Multnomah ESD - Technology Services