Re: [K12OSN] Access from outside

On 12/15/06, Mel Wade <mel melwade com> wrote:
We have one K12 LSTP server and have plans to add two more over the next
year.  Overall we are very pleased with the results.

I need to find a way to access the server from windows machines to be able
to monitor activity at any time of the day.  I need to be able to be on my
WinXP laptop at home and VPN into the school's network, connect to a LTSP
server via GUI interface and manage the server and monitor activity.

What is the best way to do this?  (The VPN is not the part that I have
questions about - just art of the example.)

--
Mel Wade
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF

Mel,

I'd suggest you install freenx server on your K12LTSP computer, and
then use NoMachine's free (of cost) NX Client for Windows on your
laptop

I've been using that for the past two years manage our school's
K12LTSP servers from my home.  It works really well, and there's no
need for a VPN connection as NX Client can encrypt its connection
through an SSH tunnel.

If your K12LTSP is based on either FC5 or FC6, freenx can be installed
using yum.  Then copy the client key from the server to your Windows
computer.

David Whitmer
Director of Media & Technology
Calvary Schools of Holland (Michigan)