[K12OSN] More to do with accents...

Well, I let our languages teacher read the reply about using accents in Gnome and Openoffice and she got back to me that the right-alt apostrophe and a letter key just pulls down menus in Openoffice.  Any other ideas?  I have found somewhere on internet on using an openoffice macro for this but I'ld rather not go there yet.  Thanks,  Jim