[K12OSN] Dropbox question

dahopkins at comcast.net dahopkins at comcast.net
Wed Dec 20 12:41:07 UTC 2006

I found the instructions.
http://riv-mail.mesd.k12.or.us/mailarchives/k12osdig/7494.html and also
at http://www.redhat.com/archives/k12osn/2004-April/msg00774.html   for creating a dropbox, but ...

While it works for dropping the files to the folder, how do I ensure that the ownership of the files is set to the owner of the directory, and/or that the permissions are set so that the owner of the directory can then read the files?  I tried setting the sticky bits or owner and group, and this doesn't seem to work.  In particular, setting chmod u+s does not change the owner of the file to the owner of the directory.  Asking the Tech teacher to have all students set the permissions of the files to 740 before dropping them is not exactly a workable option (she just wants the students to drag/drop the files, no right-clicky, check permissions, etc.) In fact, nothing that requires 'syntax' is considered acceptable.  The comment I got was "This is trivial on a Mac, so why is it so hard on this system?"  Probably because of me?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave Hopkins