Re: [K12OSN] Advocacy in Curriculum

I'm getting a thin terminal lab after break and am interested in developing a curriculum that would exist in parallel with the programming classes I teach so that students learn a little bit more about Linux each year in my class. Ideally, by the third year, they'd be able to take and pass the Linux+ exam that CompTIA offers (because our state vocational ed department is just gaga over industry certifications).

I'll let you know what I come with, assuming I actually manage to come up with anything, but would be very interested to see anything other people have developed.

Todd

P.S. I think you can teach command line stuff as soon as they can type fast enough that it's not frustrating. The key, though, is motivation. They're not going to want to use the command line to do something they can do easier with the GUI. Finding tasks that are easier with a few typed commands would be key to making it interesting for students.