Re: [K12OSN] Advocacy in Curriculum

I am probably one of the younger ones in the list, I am 25. I personally agree with Todd. You can teach at any age they can type comfortably. However, like he said best to have a reward/purpose they can see. I myself am a very hands on visual learner. For me this field and profession is only fun because I can "see" my results. I despise using the command line because it does not suit my personality/style but I use it regardless because of the power it holds. If all I had was the command line or script interface I would likely go nuts.

It took me years of coding in HTML, Perl, PHP, Visual Basic, etc. to just get past the code and realize the goal I was trying to achieve. It was only once I got to see a website, GUI interface or results in the GUI I felt excited. I know this is common, but I have met people who get a thrill writing perl scripts and such that simply swap Apache installations or something totally unseen from visual perspective only known if you investigate the system. I think most kids are like me with attention spans, they need to see fruit of their labor.

Then you pick your top kids make a club, and have them dive in deeper and become the next series of IT people to come into the world :D.