[K12OSN] Advocacy in Curriculum

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 19:22:33 UTC 2006

On 12/20/06, Shane Sammons <shane.sammons at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am probably one of the younger ones in the list, I am 25. I personally
> agree with Todd. You can teach at any age they can type comfortably.
> However, like he said best to have a reward/purpose they can see. I myself
> am a very hands on visual learner. For me this field and profession is only
> fun because I can "see" my results. I despise using the command line because
> it does not suit my personality/style but I use it regardless because of the
> power it holds. If all I had was the command line or script interface I
> would likely go nuts.
>
> It took me years of coding in HTML, Perl, PHP, Visual Basic, etc. to just
> get past the code and realize the goal I was trying to achieve. It was only
> once I got to see a website, GUI interface or results in the GUI I felt
> excited. I know this is common, but I have met people who get a thrill
> writing perl scripts and such that simply swap Apache installations or
> something totally unseen from visual perspective only known if you
> investigate the system. I think most kids are like me with attention spans,
> they need to see fruit of their labor.

Yes I experience the same with my students. But instead of using VB
look at how easy it is to code "Hello World" GUI in pyFLTK (a python
wrapper for FLTK) without using a GUI drag-and-drop builder:

from fltk import *

def button_callback(widget):
     widget.label("Hello Again")

window = Fl_Window(200,90,"My First GUI Program")
button = Fl_Button(9,20,180,50,"Hello")
button.callback(button_callback)
window.end()
window.show()
Fl.run()

(I am sure pyGTK or pyQT are similar although they use signals/slots
instead of callbacks)