Re: [K12OSN] Dropbox question

Quotas operate per filesystem, so if /dropbox is on a different partition from /home, it won't have any bearing on users' quotas in their home directories. You could set a different quota limit for /dropbox than for /home, or not even set a quota if desired.

Petre

Jim Kronebusch wrote:
If I remember right part of the reason I opted for the script before was
because of disk quotas.  I think that with what you guys have described the
file is still owned by the student even though the group ownership changes to
the teacher.  Problem I had with that is that some teachers aren't the best in
cleaning out folders, so after a while a student can have nothing in his/her
home folder and still exceed the quota because the teacher hadn't remove their
assignments for the last 6 months.  And with our digital arts classes some
assignments are a few gig in size, so they can eat up quota fairly quickly. But if you aren't using quotas I think what you suggest would work. but I set
this up 3 years ago so I don't fully remember my reasoning :-)