[K12OSN] smb/ldap woes..

I'm thinking this is more of a samba thing than an ldap thing...

I keep getting 'access denied' when attempting to join a machine to the domain.
have tried 'administrator', 'Administrator', and 'root' ...
they all have the same passwd at the moment...

I remember running into this issue before but it was long ago...and my memory fails me as to the fix.
any ideas?

--Huck