[K12OSN] help me understand sound

Even though I've got all my sound issues sorted out,
I'm confused about how/why it works.  I guess I'm
confused because I apparently needed 3 different sound
"systems" on my Xubuntu/LTSP server:  alsa, esound,
and gstreamer.  Can somebody give me a simple
explanation as to what these 3 components do for me?

Thanks

-Rob