[K12OSN] Google Earth

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Tue Dec 26 16:11:01 UTC 2006

Chris Bacigalupo wrote:
> I've tried it. It does work..very slowly. No 3d support. Which gets me
> to a question, would I need a 3d card on my sever and an exact duplicate
> on the terminal for this to work?

Whatever you display on your workstation monitor has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
to do with the video card in your server.  There is no connection at
all.  You could even take the video card out of your server, and your
workstation wouldn't know the difference.

If you are looking to improve the 3d performance on your workstation,
you could try enabling glx in lts.conf:

          X4_MODULE_01 = glx

Although I suspect you still won't get max performance that way.

Ultimately, what you'll need to do is run google earth as a local app.
This is something that is going to be an awful lot easier with LTSP-5.

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org