Re: [K12OSN] DHCP on a different port..... was 'The Dreaded DHCP.....'

Theory is sound given the following layout:

MS-DHCP server  ------>  MS-CLIENTS

eth1
K12LTSP  eth0   -------> LTSP clients
           ltsp-dhcp active on THIS NIC only

I surely wouldn't attempt this with a single NIC setup(I'm faint of heart)...
the 10/100 nic for the ETH1 is cheap enough to do a dual nic setup..

--Huck

Bert Rolston wrote:
Hi folks,

As I understand it, based on the snippets below,
- I could run the LTSP DHCP server on a network with an MS DHCP server

- There wouldn't be any conflicts between the two DHCP servers

- MS clients would get their IP address from the MS DHCP server, and any LTSP terminals would get their IP address from the LTSP server

By creating custom boot rom images on the Rom-O-Matic website that use
the port I have chosen, the LTSP thin clients will connect to the Linux
DHCP server, NOT the MS DHCP server.

Therefore, in THEORY, I could put a single nic LTSP server into an
existing MS network without any disruption to their current
infrastructure.

If this is the case it fits the criteria set by someone who is
investigating the use of LTSP, and has approached me for help.

Is my theory sound or have I missed something.

Thanks for your time.

Bert Rolston

Barry:Hi...four lines really necessary ..one each defining the options as
text or string .option 128 is absolutely necessary..so that option 129 is
read...

ive been using port 1001/2 for five years in my schools..i can post those
liness to you if you'd like when i get home..chuck

Cliebow,

like this..

option option-128 code 128=string;
option option-129 code 129=text;