[K12OSN] Problems with Firefox, OO and KDE apps start up speed with SMBLDAP

Julian Yap julian_yap at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 28 07:07:09 UTC 2006

Hi all,

We're having problems with the start up speed of Firefox, OO and KDE
apps on our K12LTSP servers and was wondering if anyone could help.

More background info:

I've recently installed a SMBLDAP server for a local school.

We freshly installed a K12LTSP 6.0 server and set it up to authenticate
off the SMBLDAP.  Home directories are also mounted off the SMBLDAP
server via NFS.

Certain apps seem to hang and take a long time (around 10 minutes) to
start up.  I can't seem to figure it out.  However, once Firefox, for
example, starts up, it's very responsive and works fine.  The apps with
problems are Firefox, OpenOffice suite and KDE apps (like Kalcium).

Other large apps such Blender and Scribus work fine as do the smaller
Gnome apps.

One minor breakthrough is that when spawned through the command line,
OpenOffice Writer starts up (and fast too) via:
/usr/lib/openoffice.org2.0/program/swriter.bin -writer

However, this from the command line causes a hang:
/bin/sh /usr/lib/openoffice.org2.0/program/swriter.bin -writer

This has also been tested on K12LTSP 5.0 with the same problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Julian