Re: [K12OSN] Problems with Firefox, OO and KDE apps start up speed with SMBLDAP

try simply 'oowriter' or 'oocalc' or 'ooimpress' at the commandline?

any faster?
I've just about completed a 6.0 install with IceWM as the default/only window manager...and it's FAST...MUCH faster than
my old K12LTSP server that is getting upgraded this summer!

Julian Yap wrote:
Hi all,

We're having problems with the start up speed of Firefox, OO and KDE
apps on our K12LTSP servers and was wondering if anyone could help.

More background info:

I've recently installed a SMBLDAP server for a local school.

We freshly installed a K12LTSP 6.0 server and set it up to authenticate
off the SMBLDAP.  Home directories are also mounted off the SMBLDAP
server via NFS.

Certain apps seem to hang and take a long time (around 10 minutes) to
start up.  I can't seem to figure it out.  However, once Firefox, for
example, starts up, it's very responsive and works fine.  The apps with
problems are Firefox, OpenOffice suite and KDE apps (like Kalcium).

Other large apps such Blender and Scribus work fine as do the smaller
Gnome apps.

One minor breakthrough is that when spawned through the command line,
OpenOffice Writer starts up (and fast too) via:
/usr/lib/openoffice.org2.0/program/swriter.bin -writer

However, this from the command line causes a hang:
/bin/sh /usr/lib/openoffice.org2.0/program/swriter.bin -writer

This has also been tested on K12LTSP 5.0 with the same problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Julian