[K12OSN] Testing actual network speeds

Hi Folks,

Can anyone suggest a way to test my LAN speeds that I'm using for K12LTSP? Screen redraws are jerky and slow on some of my clients. I've always suspected my network cabling wasn't quite right, but I don't know how to test it. When I request things from the web server on the network and other network activities where I can "get a reading" of the transfer speed it's usually about 30Mb/s. Which seems a little on the low side. But that's not even my K12LTSP network, I don't know how to test the speed between server and client. Clearly it's working at 100BaseT, but it seems like there's got to be a bottleneck somewhere. I'm using a consumer grade 1000BaseT switch for my thin client network and I think it's helped some with having multiple clients going at the same time, but I can't help thinking that each client could be doing better? How do you folks test your network cabling? Is there a device in the $100 range that might help? Can I run wireshark (or similar) on the server and see what's going on with the clients? How would I set that up?

Thanks,

ck