Re: [K12OSN] Testing actual network speeds

There was note in the wiki about testing network speed. I saw it this morning.

On 29/12/06, Carl Keil <carl snarlnet com > wrote:
Hi Folks,

Can anyone suggest a way to test my LAN speeds that I'm using for
K12LTSP?  Screen redraws are jerky and slow on some of my clients.  I've
always suspected my network cabling wasn't quite right, but I don't know
how to test it.  When I request things from the web server on the
network and other network activities where I can "get a reading" of the
transfer speed it's usually about 30Mb/s.  Which seems a little on the
low side.  But that's not even my K12LTSP network, I don't know how to
test the speed between server and client.  Clearly it's working at
100BaseT, but it seems like there's got to be a bottleneck somewhere.
I'm using a consumer grade 1000BaseT switch for my thin client network
and I think it's helped some with having multiple clients going at the
same time, but I can't help thinking that each client could be doing
better?

How do you folks test your network cabling?  Is there a device in the
$100 range that might help?  Can I run wireshark (or similar) on the
server and see what's going on with the clients?  How would I set that up?

Thanks,

ck