[K12OSN] Testing actual network speeds

john lists.john at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 13:32:54 UTC 2006

Hi Carl,

1. Whats your memory usage look like when some of your clients aren't
repainting very well?
2. Whats your CPU usage look like when some of your clients aren't
repainting very well?
3. Make sure you have a gigabit card on the server going to that gigabit
switch so that the servers nic isn't the bottleneck.

For general network testing you could look at iperf
http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Iperf/
Basically it has two parts, a server and a client. You install the server,
which listens on a high port, and you use the client to send it chunks of
data. I don't know that this would be informative on a k12ltsp setup, but
you could always put a stand along machine in the mix and run the iperf
client from there.

John