[K12OSN] gnome-settings-daemon and esd-sound

Trond Mæhlum trond at maehlum.net
Thu Feb 2 21:10:08 UTC 2006

Eric Harrison skrev:
> Trond Mæhlum wrote:
>> Eric Harrison skrev:

>> One thing that bothers me about our Fedora servers is that nautilus
>> takes ages to load when we use icewm. From icewm is loaded, it can take
>> 30 seconds - 1 minute for the desktop background to appear. This seems
>> slightly quicker on our K12LTSP 4.2.2EL server.
>
> Anytime you see a delay divisible by 30 seconds (0.5 minutes, 1.0
> minutes, 1.5 minutes, etc), a DNS problem is always a likely candidate.

Interesting... I'll take a look at that tomorrow. We don't make use of
the hosts file, since we use a Skolelinux main-server as our backbone
server. It is also our dns-server and names the terminals names like
dhcpa103.las.kk.skole. It resolves from the server, ping
dhcpa103.las.kk.skole answers correctly.

The delay on nautilus also happens when I log in directly at the server.
It happens for all users, including root. Another strange ting is that
we have 10 LTSP servers, and they all behave like this. One of our
servers is K12LTSP4.2.2 and it seems slightly faster.

They seem to behave better after a fresh boot, and get worse during the
day. Thererfore we now run a scheduled reboot every night of our LTSP
servers. But still after a fresh  boot, it will take at least 10
seconds, from icewm's startmenu is visible to nautilus is loaded, and
the desktop is visible.

>> On my testserver running Debian, this loads at "lightspeed" :) Any ideas
>> on that? The servers are Dual Xeon 3GHz with 4GB RAM. They are far from
>> fully loaded. A nightly reboot seems to make the wait tolerable, but
>> still it takes far too long.
>>
>> Is this a Fedora issue or what could it be?
>
> Loads at "lightspeed" here. Is this all users or just specific users?

All. We use a fileserver and ldap login, so the same useraccounts load
nautlis quickly at the Debian LTSP server.

> If you create a new user, does it have the delay as well?

Yes.

>> <snip>
>>
>>> Yes, you can pre-load esound libraries to do the same magic as nasd.
>>> In K12LTSP, you can turn this on by setting REMOTE_SOUND_HACKS=YES
>>> in /etc/sysconfig/k12ltsp
>>>
>>> The simple answer is that you preload the libesd.so and libesddsp.so
>>> libraries, such as:
>>>
>>>    LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib/libesd.so.0 /usr/lib/libesddsp.so.0"
>>>    export LD_PRELOAD
>>

>> I have tried to implement this. Is there some way to check if the
>> preloading happened as expected? echo LD_PRELOAD on the terminal or
>> something?
>
> It is just an environment variable, you can open up a terminal window
> and run:
>
>     echo $LD_PRELOAD

Thank you.

Trond