[K12OSN] Getting sound going with videos

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Fri Feb 3 14:12:50 UTC 2006

On Feb 3, 2006, at 3:47 AM, Krsnendu Dasa wrote
> Any tips how to get this working?

I don't know the exact file location (and I think it can vary based
on install) but you want to find the config file for mplayer.  For
the individual user it is almost always in:

/home/user/.mplayer/config

my system-wide file is in:

/etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf

The items in the user file override the items in the system wide
file.  In my system wide file, I have:

vo=xvidix,xv,x11
ao=esd,alsa

mplayer attempts to use those in order.  "vo" means video output.
xvidix is great if you have an ati card.  xv is accelerated (allows
scaling) and x11 is sorta the "works on most" driver, but hardware
scaling is not supported.  I find that order listed works best for me.

the "ao" means audio output.  Make sure esd is listed first.

Hope that helps!  Don't forget to install mplayerplug-in as well!
(It allows embedded video in firefox)

-Shawn