[K12OSN] Moodle, et al

Mark Cockrell cockrell at honeygroveisd.net
Fri Feb 3 18:48:42 UTC 2006

Ok, here's where my position as a tech and not as a teacher is a bit of
a detriment.  Moodle- I know what it is, but I'm not sure I "get it."
Could some of you teachers out there who are using it help me out.  When
a teacher asks me *why* he should use something like Moodle, what can I
tell them?  Being a geek my initial response is, "Well, it's really
cool!" but that doesn't really seem to resonate with those who will
actually be using the application.  Why are Moodle and its ilk a good
thing?  What can you do with them that you can't do without them?  Why
should a teacher use these tools as opposed to the tried-and-true
methodologies that have been in use for generations?  I'm not looking
for an idealistic treatise on the nature of learning and the miracle of
the read/write Web.  I'm looking for a way to make a middle-aged English
Lit. teacher see the *benefit* of using such a tool.  Explaining why
they should, or what the current educational research shows doesn't show
them how it'll make their job easier/better.  Any takers?

--

C-ya,
Mark