[K12OSN] Re: OSX home directories on a K12LTSP server?

James P Schwankl schwankl at chatham.k12.nc.us
Sat Feb 4 03:56:12 UTC 2006

Eric Harrison wrote:

> Has anyone setup roaming profiles on Apple OSX clients stored on a
> K12LTSP server? (i.e. Netatalk, NFS, or Samba?)
>
> Any tips or tricks you can spare? ;-)

Eric,

I have to second Shawn and say that I used Jim's directions for the OS X part. Makes use of NFS. You lose resource forks by storing stuff on non-HFS(+) formatted drives, but unless your users are using a lot of Classic apps, that shouldn't be too great a problem.  If OTOH your users do have a lot of Classic apps that rely on the resource for to know what app opens a particular document, then it may be worthwhile to try to get something going with Netatalk. I believe that the latest Netatalk actually does AFP rather than Appletalk, so it's not like the OS X machines will have to have Appletalk turned on.

I used David and Matt's Samba/LDAP script to back when it was made for FC3. I'm really only using the LDAP part since that particular school is all Mac, but it works great.

Peace,
Jimmy

Always remember you're unique just like everyone else.

****This Message was sent through the Chatham County Schools E-Mail Server****

All e-mail correspondence to and from this address is subject to the
North Carolina Public Records Law, which may result in monitoring and
disclosure to third parties, including law enforcement.