[K12OSN] Software virtualization...opensource way?

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Wed Feb 8 15:23:59 UTC 2006

Ok....aside from the licensing of the OS or apps....(that part I
understand)

I'm reading a lot about software virtualization....In other words allowing
one server to run multiple OS's or perhaps allowing one networked
workstation or terminal to access multiple apps written for other
platforms.  For example:  a Windoze workstation could access an app
written for Mac OS X running on a virtual server in the server room.  I've
read up a bit on Xen, but do not totally understand it.

Good article here:

http://www.eschoolnews.com/news/showStory.cfm?ArticleID=6057

and here's a company that does virtualization...

http://www.ardence.com/

My question....does anyone know of an Open Source or at least free way of
doing this?  Is Xen the same thing?

See here:

http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/virtualization/

I'm curious to know what others may have done, experienced, or are working
on.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School