[K12OSN] Any network sound gurus out there that can help?

Mike Brzezowski mike75bug at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 05:44:33 UTC 2006

I just set up a prototype K12LTSP server using the <5> install CD's from the
website (version 4.4.1)

I then installed the sound and utils packages from
http://www.ltsp.org/ltsp-4.1.html

Next, I went into the KDE control center on the server and when to Sound and
Multimedia.  I Enabled network Sound and Run with highest priority (sould
buffer to 46).  Under the hardware tab I selected TOSS for the Audio Device
and then full duplex.

For the lts.conf file, I added the following for the client:
-----------------------

   SOUND              = Y
    SOUND_DAEMON       = nasd   # This can be 'nasd', or 'esd' at this time
    VOLUME             = 100    # Speaker & WAVE volume pecentage
    MIC_VOLUME         = 100    # Microphone volume
    CD_VOLUME          = 75     # CD Audio volume
    SMODULE_01         = auto   # sound chip auto detect

When the client boots though, I get the following error:

"Error while initializing the sound driver.

device /dev/dsp can't be opened (Permission denied)

The sound server will continue, using the null output device."

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?  It sounds to me like the client
is trying to directly access the dsp instead of going through some sound
server.

Thanks....Mike