[K12OSN] Re: Blocking users from printing to network printer

Trond Mæhlum trond at maehlum.net
Tue Feb 14 21:20:28 UTC 2006

Robert Arkiletian skrev:
> On 2/14/06, Robert Arkiletian <robark at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is there a way to block students from printing to a network printer?
>>

> I should have mentioned that I still want to be able to print. I just
> want to block students from printing.

If I understand you correctly, you want to be able to print, but block
some users? You're using cups right? I know that Fedora/Redhat likes to
write its own printers.conf file, but on my Debian main server I use
groups to do this.

For example, you can create two groups (you'll probably want more, but
to prove my point), lets call them teacher and student. Now make all
your teachers a member of teacher and enroll the students into the
student group.

Now, add this line to your printers.conf for all your "teacher-only"
printers:

AllowUser @teacher

This way members of "teacher" can print, everyone else can not print.

I suspect that system-config-printer in Fedora/Redhat will alter or
remove this line... I'm not sure, but you can give it a go. This works
perfectly on my Debian Sarge box which acts as file/printserver.

Trond Maehlum