[K12OSN] sound advice K12LTSP with Windows Terminal Server 2003

Gideon Romm ltsp at symbio-technologies.com
Thu Feb 23 16:19:02 UTC 2006

David-

I figured I would chime in with a few pointers on sound.  Also, since
you contacted me, I conducted a quick experiment to make sure I have my
facts straight.

Here goes.  First of all, let me preface this with the fact that all of
my experience is with esd - not nasd (as you use), so not all of the
assertions below may apply in a nasd environment:

1. With esd, if you have several different screens set up on your
terminal of ANY FLAVOR (ie, 1 W2k3 + 1 Linux, 2 Linux, 2 W2k3, etc), you
will only ever get sound on one screen in the current configuration.  I
am still unclear as to whether this is a limitation of esd itself (not
being able to blend streams from two separate esd clients at the same
time) or whether there is just some esd magic to allow it.  I have tried
adding the "-promiscuous" flag to /etc/rc.sound, but to no avail.
Basically, if you have two screens set up to run esd clients, the first
one that you log into will win control of the sound daemon.

2. GOOD NEWS!  I ran "esddsp rdesktop -r sound:local <ip>" from my Linux
application server, and got the calming (?) welcome audio from Windows.
Even an mp3 played nicely.  This is a far cry from my previous
experiences with ultra-slow audio, so either things have improved, or
the network was cooperating when I ran my test.  So, thats an option.

3. If you are interested in hacking the rdesktop.wrapper script in the
LTSP tree to run "esddsp rdesktop" instead of "rdesktop" be forewarned:
It appears the esd package was not compiled 100% correctly in the LBE,
and it looks for libs in /usr/local/lib, rather than /usr/lib.  A clever
symlink of $LTSPROOT/usr/local to ../ clears that up.  But, assertion #1
still remains.  Perhaps a TODO for us developers is to clean up the
ltsp-esd package and change the rdesktop wrapper to use esd if esd is
the chosen sound daemon.

Conclusion:

In an esd world, to have one's cake and eat it too, running windows from
the linux server with "esddsp rdesktop" may be the best shot at it.

In a nasd world, I'm not the one to ask ;)

All the best,

-Gadi