[K12OSN] LTSP - NFS/CIFS

Daniel Bramkamp bramkamp at team-datentechnik.de
Sat Feb 25 20:09:01 UTC 2006

Hi,

I am currently running a LTSP setup for 60 users. The /home directory
and data is provided to the terminalserver via NFS. However, NFS is
giving me headaches. Sometimes access to all files and directories on
the NFS server is being denied. I cannot figure out why this happens.
The problem arises very infrequently. I reinstalled the whole file- and
terminalserver. The software on the servers is up to date now. The
problem happened with the old installation, which was 2 years old, and
it still exists in the new installation. The problem goes away after a
few minutes and everything works smoothly again. The fileserver is also
running Samba. User accounts are stored centrally in a LDAP database.
UIDs/GIDs match on both servers. Users are in no more than 13 groups
max.

1. Has anyone experienced similar issues with NFS?

2. Is it possible to use Samba/CIFS instead of NFS in a setup like this
? Can anyone comment on possiblity, stability, etc. ? One of the nice
things about using NFS is that I only need to mount the share once at
system startup. Can something like that be archived when using CIFS and
ACLs maybe ? Help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
--
Daniel Bramkamp