[K12OSN] server not forwarding packets for Windows clients

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Wed Feb 1 00:55:16 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 17:06, R. Scott Belford wrote:
>
>>I believe that you will need to do this
>>
>>echo 1 >> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
>

> That happens in the /etc/rc.d/init.d/nat script.

It appears to be a NAT problem: while chkconfig shows that the
/etc/init.d/nat script will be run for runlevels 2,3,4 & 5, it seems to
quit working after a while.  It's one of the few scripts that does not
have a 'status' parameter, although I could probably check
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward.  Since it wasn't working, I had the
workstations plugged into the main network switch so that they bypassed
the ltsp server.  This afternoon, I re-ran the /etc/init.d/nat script
and presto! it started working.  So, I moved a couple of the Windows
boxes back to the ltsp switch, and they were working fine.  Then about
three hours later I got a call from the users saying those machines
couldn't connect to the internet.  I ssh'd in, restarted NAT, and
presto! it started working again.  What would make it die like that?
For now, I just made a crontab entry that restarts /etc/init.d/nat once
per hour.  I'd like to see its state under /proc when it stops working,
but I don't want to put the users through the pain of it stopping again.