Re: [K12OSN] server not forwarding packets for Windows clients

Les Mikesell wrote:
On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 17:06, R. Scott Belford wrote:

I believe that you will need to do this

echo 1 >> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

That happens in the /etc/rc.d/init.d/nat script.

It appears to be a NAT problem: while chkconfig shows that the /etc/init.d/nat script will be run for runlevels 2,3,4 & 5, it seems to quit working after a while. It's one of the few scripts that does not have a 'status' parameter, although I could probably check /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward. Since it wasn't working, I had the workstations plugged into the main network switch so that they bypassed the ltsp server. This afternoon, I re-ran the /etc/init.d/nat script and presto! it started working. So, I moved a couple of the Windows boxes back to the ltsp switch, and they were working fine. Then about three hours later I got a call from the users saying those machines couldn't connect to the internet. I ssh'd in, restarted NAT, and presto! it started working again. What would make it die like that? For now, I just made a crontab entry that restarts /etc/init.d/nat once per hour. I'd like to see its state under /proc when it stops working, but I don't want to put the users through the pain of it stopping again.