[K12OSN] Screensaver Login Problem

David Ackerman dackerman at apnts.org
Wed Feb 1 13:26:36 UTC 2006

I am setting up a small lab of 5-10 clients with K12ltsp server.  I have two
immediate questions.

1.  I am having problems with screensaver locking:

People leave without logging out.  The screen saver comes on after a bit.
The only option is to put in the password of the person who left without
logging off.  A person cannot change the account name; no cursor, only
option is to know the password of the person logged on.  If a person does
not do this, the client is more or less stuck.  A person would have to do a
hard restart of the client.  I did figure out a quick reboot with
control-alt-backspace, but I don't like this option and it will confuse
people.  How can I make it so that the client automatically logs out after a
set period of time, perhaps when the screen saver comes on?  Can the desktop
automatically be saved with an auto-logout?

I am relatively new at linux, so simple, direct or complete answers would
really help me resolve this.  I could not find anything in the forum
archives to really help me with this.  I can find some technical assistant
nearby, though.

2.       We want to put the K12 server in a separate building but access it
from across out campus (at least 2 locations at this point but others in the
future).  We cannot dedicate a vlan solely to K12 because there are some
windows xp machines on it as well.  How can we make it so that the thin
clients can boot to the k12 server and the K12 server not mess up the
Windows machines?  Would the Windows machines pick up their IP from the K12
server?  Could the two simultaneously be on the same vlan?

I think this really looks promising for our school which has no money for
new hardware.  Any help would be appreciated.

David Ackerman

Asia-Pacific Nazarene Theological Seminary

Philippines