Re: [K12OSN] gnome-settings-daemon and esd-sound

Eric Harrison skrev:

The two questions in the topic is not related. I think.

I am using icewm, and I see that gnome-settings-daemon is started. What exactly does this do?

It is required for nautilus to run correctly. If you take a look at the
IceWM session script, you'll see that it only runs if nautilus is enabled (ICEWM_USE_NAUTILUS=YES in /etc/sysconfig/icewm).

I don't remember all that breaks if you turn off gnome-settings-daemon,
if you are really curious you can comment that line out and see what
happens ;-)

I can't really see that anything changed at all. The only thing I noticed is that the question about using keyboard settings from X or gnome disappeared...

One thing that bothers me about our Fedora servers is that nautilus takes ages to load when we use icewm. From icewm is loaded, it can take 30 seconds - 1 minute for the desktop background to appear. This seems slightly quicker on our K12LTSP 4.2.2EL server.

On my testserver running Debian, this loads at "lightspeed" :) Any ideas on that? The servers are Dual Xeon 3GHz with 4GB RAM. They are far from fully loaded. A nightly reboot seems to make the wait tolerable, but still it takes far too long.

Is this a Fedora issue or what could it be?

<snip>

Yes, you can pre-load esound libraries to do the same magic as nasd.
In K12LTSP, you can turn this on by setting REMOTE_SOUND_HACKS=YES
in /etc/sysconfig/k12ltsp

The simple answer is that you preload the libesd.so and libesddsp.so
libraries, such as:

   LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib/libesd.so.0 /usr/lib/libesddsp.so.0"
   export LD_PRELOAD

I have tried to implement this. Is there some way to check if the preloading happened as expected? echo LD_PRELOAD on the terminal or something?

I'm at home now, and due to the time difference between us, I can't test this until tomorrow. But I would value your feedback on this matter.

Best Regards
Trond Maehlum

The script K12LTSP uses is a bit more complicated, it has some sanity
checking, etc. This is in /etc/profile.d/ltsp-esound.sh if you want
to see all the details.

-Eric