Re: [K12OSN] gnome-settings-daemon and esd-sound

Eric Harrison skrev:
Trond Mæhlum wrote:
Eric Harrison skrev:

One thing that bothers me about our Fedora servers is that nautilus
takes ages to load when we use icewm. From icewm is loaded, it can take
30 seconds - 1 minute for the desktop background to appear. This seems
slightly quicker on our K12LTSP 4.2.2EL server.

Anytime you see a delay divisible by 30 seconds (0.5 minutes, 1.0
minutes, 1.5 minutes, etc), a DNS problem is always a likely candidate.

Interesting... I'll take a look at that tomorrow. We don't make use of the hosts file, since we use a Skolelinux main-server as our backbone server. It is also our dns-server and names the terminals names like dhcpa103.las.kk.skole. It resolves from the server, ping dhcpa103.las.kk.skole answers correctly.

The delay on nautilus also happens when I log in directly at the server. It happens for all users, including root. Another strange ting is that we have 10 LTSP servers, and they all behave like this. One of our servers is K12LTSP4.2.2 and it seems slightly faster.

They seem to behave better after a fresh boot, and get worse during the day. Thererfore we now run a scheduled reboot every night of our LTSP servers. But still after a fresh boot, it will take at least 10 seconds, from icewm's startmenu is visible to nautilus is loaded, and the desktop is visible.

On my testserver running Debian, this loads at "lightspeed" :) Any ideas
on that? The servers are Dual Xeon 3GHz with 4GB RAM. They are far from
fully loaded. A nightly reboot seems to make the wait tolerable, but
still it takes far too long.

Is this a Fedora issue or what could it be?

Loads at "lightspeed" here. Is this all users or just specific users?

All. We use a fileserver and ldap login, so the same useraccounts load nautlis quickly at the Debian LTSP server.

If you create a new user, does it have the delay as well?

Yes.

<snip>

Yes, you can pre-load esound libraries to do the same magic as nasd.
In K12LTSP, you can turn this on by setting REMOTE_SOUND_HACKS=YES
in /etc/sysconfig/k12ltsp

The simple answer is that you preload the libesd.so and libesddsp.so
libraries, such as:

   LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib/libesd.so.0 /usr/lib/libesddsp.so.0"
   export LD_PRELOAD

I have tried to implement this. Is there some way to check if the
preloading happened as expected? echo LD_PRELOAD on the terminal or
something?

It is just an environment variable, you can open up a terminal window
and run:

    echo $LD_PRELOAD

Thank you.

Trond