[K12OSN] Moodle, et al

Ok, here's where my position as a tech and not as a teacher is a bit of a detriment. Moodle- I know what it is, but I'm not sure I "get it." Could some of you teachers out there who are using it help me out. When a teacher asks me *why* he should use something like Moodle, what can I tell them? Being a geek my initial response is, "Well, it's really cool!" but that doesn't really seem to resonate with those who will actually be using the application. Why are Moodle and its ilk a good thing? What can you do with them that you can't do without them? Why should a teacher use these tools as opposed to the tried-and-true methodologies that have been in use for generations? I'm not looking for an idealistic treatise on the nature of learning and the miracle of the read/write Web. I'm looking for a way to make a middle-aged English Lit. teacher see the *benefit* of using such a tool. Explaining why they should, or what the current educational research shows doesn't show them how it'll make their job easier/better. Any takers?

--

C-ya,
Mark