[K12OSN] Users and Groups GUI fails under VNC

We use VNC to connect to a remote k12ltsp installation.

When we click on the Users and Groups menu item the application fails to run and there is no error message.

Has anyone experienced this and how do I fix it?

or

What is the app that that menu item runs so I can try invoking it directly from an xterm session?

Any other suggestions on how to create users remotely?