[K12OSN] web filtering with SquidGuard

Trond Mæhlum trond at maehlum.net
Mon Feb 6 20:05:53 UTC 2006

We are filtering unwanted webpages with SquidGuard. We set the
transparent proxy script, using iptables, to redirect all port 80
surfing to squid. We have been very happy with our solution. But now it
has come to our attention that our efforts to block unwanted webpages
are easily bypassed. The students use web-proxies instead. They use
pages like proxypop.com to jump directly to the banned pages.

We are blocking these sites as we discover them, but there's just too
many of them... Our installation of SquidGuard is installed on a Debian
Sarge machine. It doesn't auto-update it's databases in any way as far
as I know. Is there some way of updating SquidGuards database of blocked
urls and domains?

--
Trond Maehlum