Re: [K12OSN] web filtering with SquidGuard

On 2/6/06, RiE <roger in eugene gmail com> wrote:
> On 2/6/06, Trond Mæhlum <trond maehlum net> wrote:
>
> > We are blocking these sites as we discover them, but there's just too
> > many of them... Our installation of SquidGuard is installed on a Debian
> > Sarge machine. It doesn't auto-update it's databases in any way as far
> > as I know. Is there some way of updating SquidGuards database of blocked
> > urls and domains?
> There are ways.  You can download the latest blacklist from MESD.
> Eric hosts that list.  I think it's compiled from a couple different
> lists.
>
> I did a google for bypassing proxys.  There are a couple of sites that
> have lists of proxy bypass pages.   Grabbing domains from those such
> pages is a good way of adding to sites to block.

I forgot to mention.  Since it is so easy to try and list every proxy
bypass site, if you can block the ones that show up in lists when you
google, that will be a big deterent.
When I first started blocking these sites, I was watching the logs.
The kids apparantly went to the same site as me, then tried 3 or 4
sites then quit.   That would lead me to believe 1 of 2 things.  1,
they gave up, figuring all were blocked, or 2, they found a site I
hadn't blocked.  I went further and grepped their IP in the logs, they
didn't go to other bypass blocking sites in the few minutes after
being blocked due to the list.  I think I was fairly successful.